Re: RFI: BIRD RECORDINGS

Subject: Re: RFI: BIRD RECORDINGS
From: "parkmarkbanff" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:37:34 -0000
Gruff,

In my most humble of opinions.... I would stay away from the
British Library's archive.   I have been trying for literally months to
get some african sounds from them and have been completely
frustrated.  I was bounced from one person to another and have
yet to get any useful information at all.

All I can suggest is that they must be too busy to even reply to
emails - understandable considering the cutbacks in my own
countries public administration.  It's most unfortunate as I'm sure
they may have some great material.=20=20

Mark Tierney
Banff, Canada

--- In  "Gruff Dodd" <> wrote:
> 2 quick enquiries if anyone can help:
>
> 1. I'm preparing for a trip to the Yucatan peninsula at the end of
May.
> Does anyone know of tapes/CD's etc which I could buy on bird
recordings from
> Mexico?  Alternatively, does anyone out there have recordings
of any of the
> following species which you'd be willing to send me as an
e-mail attachment,
> preferably as a .wav file?
>
> Cozumel Vireo
> Cozumel Wren
> Yucatan Wren
> Yucatan Nightjar
> Yucatan Poorwill
> Yucatan Flycatcher
> Rose-throated Tanager
> Caribbean Elaenia
> Black Catbird
> Yucatan Woodpecker
> Yucatan Jay
> Orange Oriole
> White-browed Wren
> Grey-throated Chat
> Green-backed Sparrow
> Ruddy Crake
> Yucatan Bobwhite
> Singing Quail
> Mangrove Vireo
>
> 2. I have heard recently relating that there are extensive sound
collections
> owned by e.g. the UK National Sound Archive, Cornell
Laboratory etc.  Both