Re: Minidisc recorder and noise floor

Subject: Re: Minidisc recorder and noise floor
From: "Steve Pelikan" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 19:39:41 -0500

> Sounds like the right thing to do is save for a better mike. After
> playing around with filtering for a day it's to much of a pain for an
> ongoing process. Thanks for the advice.
> Lets you know how things come out when I get going.

And in the mean time you can get lots of experience since, whatever
equipment you're using, you are still confronted with the need to get a
strong signal. By getting closer to your subjects (inverse square law
applies), or selecting subjects that are inherently loud you can increase
the signal for a fixed amount of mic & pre-amp noise. This usually makes
more satiying recordings.

Noise from mics and amplifiers are just a matter of degree (and several
thousands of dollars). Whatever you're working with the same techniques will
improve your results. That means you can master them with the equipmen
you've already got.

Cheers!

Steve P