Re: Minidisc recorder and noise floor

Subject: Re: Minidisc recorder and noise floor
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 20:59:43 -0600
re:
>Is there something I can do to remove the noise post
>processing or just get a better mike? I have other microphones and
>they do not seem to create that much noise but they are also not as
>sensitve as the ATR-55.

Hi--

Bet most of the noise is the mic.  The AT-55 appears to be an
inexpensive opposing omni capsule "unidirectional" design-- they
usually have very high inherent noise.

Good mics and a good mic preamp are not really that expensive if you
plan to invest many hours in the field.  Top quality gear retains
much value if you take care of it.

this site is useful for looking into mics/ noise specs:
http://www.microphonereview.com/miclist.asp?F_Sensitivity=&F_Noise=&F_SPL=&F_LLF=&F_ULF=&order=Microphones.%5BNoise+Level%5D%2C+

Best--
Rob Danielson

  = = = =

>I just got into recording of birds and picked up a Sony MZ-R37 off of
>ebay. It was new so I went ahead and bought it. I recieved it this
>week and have tested it out and it works fine. My first problem I
>encountered was the noise floor when using the Audio-technica ATR-55
>microphone. Is there something I can do to remove the noise post
>processing or just get a better mike? I have other microphones and
>they do not seem to create that much noise but they are also not as
>sensitve as the ATR-55.

Rob Danielson
Film Department
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee