Re: Noise Pollution (was Digest Number 506)

Subject: Re: Noise Pollution (was Digest Number 506)
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:07:22 +0100
Telinga owners can use two dishes put together. There will still be noise,
but no resonances. Some people have put felt in between, and glued the edges
of the dishes together with silicon. You loose the flexibility.

Klas.

At 22:12 2002-02-10 -0500, you wrote:
>Wil Hershberger wrote:
>>
>> Dave,
>> Self adhesive felt makes a wonderful pad on the back of a parabola to
>> dampen the sound of your fingers.  These can be found in fabric stores
>> and it seems to me that you can get them in 12"x12" squares.  They seem
>> to hold up in moist conditions too.
>
>I'm pretty good at keeping my fingers off the parabola, but it's much
>harder to keep rain off. Any suggestions for rain?
>
>Walt

This outgoing e-mail is scanned for viruses with Norton 2002

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
email:

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:19 2005
Message: 22
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:07:24 +0100
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Subject: Re: Re: Noise Pollution

Somebody wrote that there is no good way of noise cancelling. I agree.
Most noise is broadband. You can improve, but not much more.

>From 1985

I recorded a redwing, not far away from town.

When I replayed the recordings I got with the stereo DATmic, people smiled
and said: "It's a very nice recording. Such a "cute" bird. And the recording
is very "alive" It is almoset as "being there".
Nobody made any spontanious comments on the traffic noise. It was accepted.
"Noise is noise", not worth focusing on.

Having filtered the traffic noise, it got worse. People said: "It's a pity
with all the traffic noise."
When the traffic noise didn't sound like traffic noise any more, because of
the filtering - it became a "signal" which people focused on.

The same recording in mono was a total disaster.

Klas.