Re: Noise Pollution (was Digest Number 506)

Subject: Re: Noise Pollution (was Digest Number 506)
From: Jim Morgan <>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 04:50:26 -0700
Back some time ago Lang Elliot suggested using a foam material as a rain
shield. The soft spongy material will absorb the sound of the raindrops and
keep them off the parabola. The foam could be that which is used for
evaporative cooling pads. It is an open cell material similar to that used
in household sponges. The support of the material would be determined buy
the recordists resourcefulness and particular situation. Draping it over an
umbrella could work.

Eventually you might need to shake the water out of the material.

Now I have never used this method but feel confident that it could work.

My best rain recording is of Wood Ducks at the Rio Grande Nature Center. It
was made while standing under a concrete overhang. Concrete seems to do a
good job of dampening the sound of raindrops. This resulted in a very
natural and pleasing rain sound.

Jim Morgan