Re: Noise Pollution (was Digest Number 506)

Subject: Re: Noise Pollution (was Digest Number 506)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:36:56 -0500
Mark Griswold wrote:

> > Whatever the "hog's hair" stuff is, they do talk about putting a piece
> > directly on the top of the blimp. It's got the necessary roughness to
> > break the drops on top. It sounds ideal, if I could just find it.
> >

> "Hog's hair" can be found at any building supply warehouse. Home Depot.
> Lowe's. Someplace like that.
>
> Look near the furnace filters.

Looked today, both Lowes and Home Depot.

No, and they had never heard of it either. That included my friend at
Lowes who, until Home Depot killed him owned his own hardware store.
He's used to my unusual requests.

And none of what they had looked at all like it would work. The
waterproof filter pads were so open rain could fall right through
without hitting anything. It would take quite a stack of that to even
slow it down.

Is this some sort of regional product?

A quote from the original article:
"Extreme rain (or fire fighting) would call for a thin condom over the
mic itself, as well as a rainhat over the blimp made from what we call
"hogs hair" or "rubberized hair". Hogs hair is a thicket type material
that will break up the raindrops and prevent the pitter patter sound of
them striking the windscreen, roof of a vehicle, or roof of a recording stage."