Re: Noise Pollution

Subject: Re: Noise Pollution
From: Simon Squire <>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:45:23 -0600

Walt wrote...

> I'm in search of a fabric that has the necessary roughness on the top to
> break the drops without noise production, and has a waterproof backing.
> Maybe some of the lightweight outdoor carpet or something.
>
> I actually rather enjoy the sound of rain in my recordings. It's a
> natural part of the environment, and as long as it's in proportion is
> fine. Same with wind in the trees, though that often comes through like
> you were just using a noisy mic.
>
> Walt

Walt,

While in Borneo I used polyester batting on the top of my CVX mic to break up
the
rain drops, which worked very well. The batting is very light, and I just put
about
2 inches loosely on the top of the CVX with a little tape to stop it blowing
away.
This didn't stop the mic from getting wet, but the CVX design allows the mic to
work fine in most rain storms anyway, it's just the "popping" of rain drops
hitting
the CVX shell that affects the recording.

Also a comment on recording "all" the sound. While recording gentle ocean waves
never noticed the popping and spitting that the seaweed was making. Not until I
listened to the playback!!! But it's part of what was there.

Simon Squire