canberrabirds

Blitz wind up

To: 'Nicki Taws' <>, "" <>
Subject: Blitz wind up
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 22:15:49 +0000

Thank you, Nicki.  Well, thus invited I shall tell you about my walk around the small Rocky Knob Neighbourhood Park yesterday morning. Only a modest list of 15 species.  No koel, no Gang-gang, no Crimson Rosella,  no Crested Pigeon.  The smallest species was the Noisy Miner. The largest was you-know-what.  (Hint: now in middle of display season, but it would be a stretch to record that as breeding behaviour.)  The Crested Pigeon used to be a regular nester here.  Gang-gangs are usually around every second day, but not when I was looking (and listening). No koel was an unexpected blank, one was calling over the last couple of weeks and again this morning. I was surprised to come across a Red Wattlebird, sitting preening atop a street tree.  I had the impression that, like myself, it was on the look-out for the koel, but of course we don’t really know about that. I recorded those two great over-flyers of Canberra suburbs, Silver Gull and White Ibis. I believe we are under a flight path of the Bin Chicken, but then just about every Canberra resident  believes they are under a flight path of the Bin Chicken.  Quite a pleasant walk, and the dogs enjoyed it, but they wanted to know why I was stopping all the time.