canberrabirds

FW: Tips on seeing the purple-crowned lorikeet

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Subject: FW: Tips on seeing the purple-crowned lorikeet
From: Kim Farley via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 07:24:53 +0000
Ah yes Geoffrey, I remember that discussion about escapees or wanderers back in 2013. In the end, it seems COG accepted the 2013 Cook birds as rare vagrants, with this status noted on the COG website.

For interest, I checked both COG and eBird for records of the species in the ACT over time. In summary, the species was reported at half a dozen locations in the Belconnen area in 2012-2013 and in 2013-2014. Up to six birds were seen at any one time. COG notes just one record before then, in 1967-1968. There are no COG or eBird records in the immediate region outside the ACT, with this perhaps reflecting a lack of birders rather than an absence of birds. On the other hand, it may reflect the relative wealth of suitable nectar bearing tree plantings in the ACT. Others may have thoughts on this.

The Cook birds produced a major twitch which produced many records on eBird and some lovely photos. Another major twitch this time around too!
Kim