canberrabirds

Noisy Miners

To: "" <>
Subject: Noisy Miners
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 02:15:52 +0000

Worth clarifying that in regard to the quote: “ It clearly showed Noisy Miners attacking small birds.”   The bit that was clearly shown as a small bird was a pardalote (one instance), that was already dead, wedged into a tree by the experimenter, accompanied by pardalote calls played through a speaker system. Thus it was a dramatisation and a very contrived experiment. As such, I think it diminished the credibility of the program and I am a little surprised that they would include such a scene. Not denying of course that Miners do monopolise the resource and chase away so many other birds but that could have been shown without trickery. Also to explain the follow on that the excluding of pardalotes does appear to negatively affect the trees. In most cases the pardalotes would surely successfully fly away.

Philip