canberrabirds

RIP Margaret Leggoe

To: 'Canberrabirds list' <>
Subject: RIP Margaret Leggoe
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 22:49:47 +0000

I am sad at this, though I have a different memory of Margaret Leggoe from the bits others have offered. Thanks to Sandra for clarifying enough for me to know it is the same person (though from the name I was pretty sure it was). Margaret invited me to visit her a few times at her home, something like 15 to 20 years ago but I don’t recall since then. I don’t even remember how or why or if the original connection was birds, although it probably was, or if it was meeting through COG or something else. I know for sure we talked about her career in veterinary science and I think talked about artwork, maybe based on bird photos at her home, I think a bit about her garden and quite a lot about life philosophy, careers, employment and aspirations. Also about my Canberra Birds book and the database work I had done for that and she was very encouraging about my work on that. Maybe about photography but I really don’t remember that, partly because I don’t have much to contribute on that subject. I don’t remember anything about any wheelchair, so that information is a little strange to me, maybe that came to her later or maybe I have forgotten that. I am trying to remember if we went for a bit of a walk around the block or whether it was just her showing me around her garden. An interesting, very clever, friendly and rather wise lady. Like me offering fruit cake to people coming to see my honeyeater 20 years ago, I vaguely remember I probably had fruit cake or a lunch or two at Margaret’s place.