canberrabirds

Azure Kingfisher

To: "" <>
Subject: Azure Kingfisher
From: shorty via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 05:27:45 +0000
Hi All,

Last weekend i went out to Cotter to photograph the Azure Kingfisher. While i was doing so i watched the bird dive down to the water and pick up a fish and fly with it upstream and i could here calling but my sight was blocked by a tree so i walked further upstream to investigate. Not long after the bird again landed on the same perch as before and again dove down and caught another fish and flew upstream and again i heard calling but this time i got to see the bird give the fish to another bird.

I had assumed at the time it was courtship behavior but after a suggestion and looking at my (Poor) photos i am thinking it was a juvenile being fed.

I have made an album in my flickR with 4 photos that i will link to. I have named one juvenile 2, and 2 photos named juvenile 1 and one named adult. The one i named adult is the bird that was catching the fish and feeding it to the other. I have named Juvenile 1 and 2 as i am now thinking they are different birds so possibly 2 juvenile?

If someone with experience in this species could confirm or reject the thoughts of a juvenile that would be greatly appreciated.

Shorty