canberrabirds

Bush Stone-Curlew status

To: Steve Read <>, 'shorty' <>, 'Martin Butterfield' <>
Subject: Bush Stone-Curlew status
From: Ryu Callaway <>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 05:28:39 +0000
Both years and generations and become complicated when there are further releases in subsequent years and older releases, those hatched here, and newer birds mix. The Bush Stone-curlews have had successful breeding in Mulligans but I understand there have also been releases since.
Also, what of birds that move and how far? If the Regent Honeyeater in Watson had happened to have leg bands and it was found to have been released in Victoria 1.5 years ago from a captive breeding program, I imagine people would still tick it as it would be considered to be living. behaving, and surviving in the wild like a wild bird. It could be a different matter if it had been released just 3 months prior, or it had remained near the release site 2 years later. What would be the time period and distance required? What about Orange-bellied Parrots? I think whether a bird is tickable can't really be defined in numbers and needs to be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Ryu