canberrabirds

Ibis

To: kevingwenyth <>
Subject: Ibis
From: John Brannan <>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 00:01:31 +0000
My own observations at the Pinnacle Nature Reserve and around my home in Florey (not far from Emu Ridge as the Corella flies) are that Corellas have been slowly but steadily expanding into Belconnen for at least 2 and possibly 3 years now, presumably from the area around the ANU and Civic, where they are long established. (I imagine GBS records in Belco would reflect this.) In particular, I recently noticed a dozen or so feeding among the Galahs and Sulphur-cresteds on the median strip along Benjamin Way not far from Belconnen Mall. In the last few years, I've regularly been getting pairs and occasionally larger flocks flying over my place, and they’re appearing more regularly in the contests for nesting hollows at the Pinnacle. Assuming this trend continues, it seems likely to me that they’ll soon be resident in numbers in this part of Canberra also.

John Brannan