canberrabirds

Feral Pigeons

To: 'Chris Liddiard' <>, "" <>
Subject: Feral Pigeons
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 03:33:41 +0000

It is a historical curiosity that Feral Pigeon = Rock Dove, but in different contexts. Neither name is a good choice for consistency for such a prominent bird. It is odd that we have not settled on a simple name that includes all uses (like we have with “canary”). Probably Rock Dove best refers to the wild origin birds that are in Europe. Those here are descendants of them. Feral Pigeon is used by bird observers to refer to free living descendants of the introduced bird. Presumably because of a desire not to count clearly domestic flocks in our data. Those who actively keep these birds, still domestic, probably would not use either name, because a domestic feral is nonsensical and they don’t live on rocks and are clearly thought of as (usually) racing pigeons.

At a broader level, there isn’t a strong distinction between what is a “pigeon” or a “dove”. Either name is used for members of the order.

As for counting them The GBS Report mentions the problem “Recording of this species is somewhat unreliable, there may have been confusion with some people recording domestic flocks, which has been recommended against, though only version 3 of the chart was specific in that regard.”

About the original question: It is most abundant in the urban areas rather than the suburbs and inhabits and regularly breeds on ledges of buildings wherever it can find suitable shelter. Such buildings include mainly bridges, covered car parks and shopping centres.”

There are also roosts of them in Kambah for example always around the Namadgi school and playing grounds but only rarely do I have them at or over my home which is only about 2 km or less away.