canberrabirds

Feral Pigeons

To: "" <>
Subject: Feral Pigeons
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 05:29:01 +0000

Alison

Interesting. While reading your post it occurred to me that if Eastern Grey Kangaroos are interrupting seed set then there might be a relationship between Eastern Grey Kangaroo numbers and pigeon numbers.

regards

Con

My immediate interest in reducing feral pigeon use of some buildings and bridges is related to hazards to aircraft rather than reducing the total feral pigeon population (also desirable). The flock that used to frequent the Fyshwick Sewage Ponds area has moved on, perhaps due to the changed management of the surrounding grasslands which are now regularly mown, this might have reduced seed availability.

I’ve examined crops of pigeons from many parts of Australia and recorded the foods taken. Pigeons mostly ingest their food with minimal processing, unlike parrots which can remove seed coats, pods etc. Some favoured foods in our district include grain from stock feed, other exotic species such as Wireweed (Polygonum aviculare), various thistles (high fat content) and clovers (high protein). Seeds of native and exotic grasses are eaten, mainly those in which the seeds fall without encumbering bristles or spikey bracts (e.g. Panicum, Echinochloa, Eleusine, Setaria). Drought will affect food availability directly through reduced seeding of plants and indirectly through overgrazing of food plants by stock (might be replaced by grain fed to stock). Drought is likely to temporarily reduce pigeon breeding success and numbers, and perhaps distribution when more might forage for waste food in parks and town centres.

I hope that the increase in Crested Pigeon numbers in our district in the last 50 years has also introduced a bit of native competition for seed.

Alison R

Wow!  As well as the listing of local breeding sites and roosts, there are many good general observations here about Canberra’s feral pigeons, with special thanks to Alison and Con among others.

Educating and persuading engineers to prevent pigeons breeding, when they design structures such as bridges, makes sense, of course. But for demographic reasons, the benefits will be local to the site (things like reducing fouling from droppings). It will not change the number of Canberra pigeons.  Demographics tell us that pigeon population size may be relatively insensitive to reduced breeding, and more sensitive to reduced adult survival.  And there are many alternative breeding sites available. Therefore if nests under solar panels kill the adult pair, as mentioned, installing more solar panels and not clearing away the nests at an early stage, would be better for pigeon control than good bridge design.  That interesting observation will sound cruel and barbaric to some.  But here I am merely illustrating some interesting ecology, not advocating actions.  I agree that killing animals by heat stroke may be less desirable than using approved pigeon control methods such as the use of appropriate toxins in food.  (Ideally we would do better still by widespread change in human attitudes and practices, and elimination of most of the food sources for feral pigeons by changing things like urban waste management, equestrian recreation, and agriculture, but those would be impractical goals in the foreseeable future.)

Don Fletcher