canberrabirds

Belmount Nature Reserve

To: Mark Clayton <>
Subject: Belmount Nature Reserve
From: shorty <>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 06:39:37 +0000
Well, i was not aware of this. According to National Parks though you are welcome to walk along the fire trails at Round Hill.

Shorty

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 5:28 PM Mark Clayton <> wrote:

Something that a lot of people are NOT aware of is that in most cases I know of, you actually need a permit to access Nature Reserves in NSW. There are a few exceptions, e.g. Barren Grounds NR and Nadgee NR but Nadgee only allows a limited number in at one time. I need a permit just to access The Charcoal Tank and Buddigower NRs where we are banding as well as a banding permit. Many Nature Reserves are quite small and set are up to protect something significant. One of the books that list where to find a certain bird species lists a small nature reserve that is there to protect a very rare orchid - nothing like having a whole lot of feet tramping through it when the orchids are flowering looking for a bird!! Round Hill is another reserve that is visited illegally!!

As a general rule of thumb National Parks are for people, Nature Reserves are for protecting the environment.

Think about it before you go charging into a Nature Reserve.

Mark