canberrabirds

are Double-barred Finches declining in the ACT?

To: "" <>
Subject: are Double-barred Finches declining in the ACT?
From: John Harris <>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 00:03:15 +0000

Thanks to everyone who helped answer my questions about the reasons for DB Finch decline. Reminding me to check the stats on our site was a helpful reminder. However, I was interested in the reasons. I think ALL the suggested reasons are true. Habitat loss, kangaroo grazing, invasive non-native grasses, climate change, drought etc etc. My question was related to why they are declining while the RBF appears not to be. All those factors of habitat loss etc MUST equally affect the DBF and the RBF. A very helpful observation came from Philip Veerman, which was that Canberra is at the edge of the DBF’s range but central to the RBF’s range.  In other words, those negative factors will be initially more obvious in the DBF numbers as it as already more marginal here anyway and therefore more susceptible to negative change..