canberrabirds

are Double-barred Finches declining in the ACT?

To: 'Con Boekel' <>, "" <>
Subject: are Double-barred Finches declining in the ACT?
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 21:47:09 +0000

In general I expect there is a decline. Among the first times I visited Canberra my records at the time say “1 family Canberra Botanic Gardens 30 & 31-1-1974”. So it was adults with DY. I even took some photos of them. And “common Canberra Botanic Gardens 10-2-1975”. I don’t know now what “common” meant to me then or whether my observations were typical, but in the 35 years since I have been a resident of Canberra, I have not again seen them at Canberra Botanic Gardens. However I have encountered them several times recently at the National Zoo, Mugga Lane Tip (flocks near the green shed), they were generally present within past several years at the powerlines walk on Mt Taylor. The other random places I have seen them seem to be declining recently. But on 28 December 2018 I posted this message “I was talking to another person who lives near Mt Taylor last week about the birds in his yard. He told me about having regular flocks of Double-barred Finches attending his feeding tray.

Philip