canberrabirds

Koel Shenanigans

To: chatline <>
Subject: Koel Shenanigans
From: John Harris <>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 04:49:17 +0000

The reported lower Koel activity  is not the case at all along Ginninderra Creek in Gungahlin. I see and hear them every afternoon and morning. Amazing demonstration yesterday late afternoon. At least five males and three females. Males were chasing the females, constantly wirra- wirra-ing while the females were playing very hard to get, fleeing from the males from tree to tree with their brassy screeches. The Red Wattlebirds were kicking up a great fuss as well and scaring females from the  tree in which they landed but when a female took flight a male would chase her again. There were more males than females so males would temporarily veer from their path in pursuit of a female to try to frighten off the other male. The whole thing went on for about half an hour until they shifted their commotion to the north. I followed them a bit but they flew west up into Percival Hill so I did not follow any further.