canberrabirds

Loss of Mature Native Trees listed as threatening process in ACT

To: 'COG List' <>
Subject: Loss of Mature Native Trees listed as threatening process in ACT
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 00:06:13 +0000

This draws together 2 subjects, but for what it is worth, I have checked out the ironbarks near Tuggeranong College this week, in vain hope that some of the Swift Parrots may have returned to where they were in 2010. Not there (at least when I looked on Sunday).

As for E sideroxylon (Red Ironbark). It is included in the list of: “Commonly planted species not native to the ACT” in the little book Field Guide to the Trees of the ACT. But I believe it surely is native to a lot of Victoria.

Philip

From: Con Boekel [ Sent: Thursday, 4 October, 2018 8:36 AM To: Martin Butterfield     Cc: COG List            Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] Loss of Mature Native Trees listed as threatening process in ACT

Martin

It is an interesting question. I am guessing that there is a Tree Commisar somewhere or other in the system but who knows?

The Swifties ignored a whole Madura Range full of native trees to feast on foreign eucalypts along Negus Crescent and the ANGB tree. They also often feasted on the lerps in the soon-to-be destroyed mature community centre site native tree.

regards

Con