canberrabirds

Off topic - New Zealand Trip

To: COG Chatline <>
Subject: Off topic - New Zealand Trip
From: Julie Clark <>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 06:54:31 +0000
Hi All,

I have just created an album of photos taken during our 16-day trip to New Zealand in March.

Some of the birding highlights included:
  • The gorgeous inquisitive NZ robins at Zealandia and Orokonui that landed near our feet and followed us, hoppjng around, being thoroughly entertaining.
  •  Watching the Kakas feeding and drinking at their special feeding stations in Zealandia..... gorgeous parrots .. so different to ours.
  • Seeing Wekas in the Milford Sound car park ... wandering around, doing their thing.... I do love Rails!
  • Keas (everyone's absolute favourite!!!) ... 5 of them stopping traffic on the return trip from Milford Sound ... in the middle of the road just before the Homer Tunnel. We spent a fantastic 15 minutes watching them and snapping them as they visited each group of people, tried to get into cars and generally behaved in a very outgoing manner. The group included a younger bird ... very cute!
  • Visiting the critically endangered Black Stilts at the Tasman Delta on the way to Mount Cook. That was amazing ... firstly finding the location (thanks Jill!!) and then getting to spend time observing 40 or more of the precious birds! We all appreciated the special opportunity.
  • NZ Falcon perched atop one of the chalets in the Mt Cook Village, allowing me to  snap some reasonable pics.
  • Seeing the endangered flghtless Takahes at Zealandia and Orokonui was also special for all of us.
  • Tomtits .. not native, but how cute are these birds and, like our robins, very inquisitive and happy to follow us on our walks.
It was a very enjoyable family trip ... still managed some special birding moments.

The album of pics can be seen on Flickr for anyone interested ...(still going through photos and will continue to add to the album).

Cheers
Julie

--
Julie Clark