canberrabirds

Vehicle security

To: 'chatline canberrabirds' <>
Subject: Vehicle security
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 02:47:48 +0000

I had doubted from the start that security cameras would be a prevention of the problem. We have already had some reasons why. I had thought about a secure gate at the top of Dairy Road. Would that work? The cyclists thieves could easily just ride past that. We could have big fences erected around the site to restrict access, with an approved access system, (I believe Werribee has this) but some of us people complain about big fences and it would restrict spontaneity, which is such a nice attribute of bird watching.

I very much support that COG (maybe jointly with other organisations) formally bring this matter to the attention of the ACT government. I am sure the ACT government are already aware. My initial reaction was only against what I thought suggested that this was a problem for COG Committee. It isn’t, it is a territorial law enforcement issue. I would like COG to request that the police patrol the area on some kind of more regular basis and signs be put up saying that they do. Maybe also invite the neighbouring ICON Water security to have drop in security checks.  I can’t think of a method to stop the problem. Crime exists and always will.

As far as people being scared to go there. Well we can all be scared of lots of things and still do them. I am more “scared” about the travel component of going there than I am of parking a car there.