canberrabirds

Wattlebirds + Friarbirds on the move

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Wattlebirds + Friarbirds on the move
From: Michael Lenz <>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 06:42:29 +0000
See for example Figure 6 on the relative abundance of Red Wattlebirds  (in Lenz: Canberra Bird Notes 42 (2), 207, p. 152, ) for the years 2007, 2008 and 2009. 2008 was a "normal" year with the peak of RW abundance in April (as Philip mentions), but the other 2 years were years with dry and hot summers, under those conditions there was a steady exodus of RWs from Canberra from February onwards with no peak at all in April.

Last winter was cold and dry, spring growth started late and was in many places quite reduced (compared to "normal" years) and this is followed by a hot and dry summer, a combination of less favourable conditions for many species of birds. I am not surprised that even in "green" Canberra some species at least are looking for better 'pastures'. early in the season

Michael Lenz