canberrabirds

Wattlebirds + Friarbirds on the move

To: Michael Lenz <>, Ryu Callaway <>
Subject: Wattlebirds + Friarbirds on the move
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 09:32:57 +0000
I had some RWBs moving on the S fence of Narrabundah Hill at the end of January, perhaps a little early but it is a species that moves around quite a bit.

For the first time in ages I only have a couple in my GBS site, with the last fledgling being fed over a week ago.  As is often the case here that’s similar timing to when the last Koel fledgling was seen/heard.  For both it’s relatively early.

One very positive aspect of this has been the return of smaller species (Brown Thornbill, Scrubwren, Superb Fairy-wren and Weebill) to my garden.

I can’t say anything about Noisy Friarbirds since they have been absent from my local area, with just one heard since the New Year.  That’s one reason why it’s easy to rule them out as Koel hosts if I can’t confirm that the RWB is.

Jack Holland

Sent: Friday, February 16, 2018 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] Wattlebirds + Friarbirds on the move

Red Wattlebirds have thinned out from the areas I visit, incl. my GBS site for a while. In early Feb. a group of 31 wattlebirds were passing through Lyneham Ridge. Friarbirds also appear to have left some areas at least for some time. The very dry conditions may make it difficult for these species to find enough food here, hence they have/are departing relatively early.

Michael Lenz