canberrabirds

Brown Goshawk Fledglings at Mulligan's

To: COG Chatline <>
Subject: Brown Goshawk Fledglings at Mulligan's
From: Julie Clark <>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 12:04:16 +0000
Hi All,

The Brown Goshawks have bred again this season and produced two young.

I went over there today and was checking on a Western Gerygone nest. The nest was intact but I didn't seen any birds. I was looking higher up in the tree and was startled to have a large pair of eyes watching me. It was a Brown Goshawk fledgling. It must have fledged in the past week as I'm sure the nest was still occupied last Friday. While standing taking some photos of the bird I looked around for an adult (not wishing to be swooped!) and caught some movement in a tree near the nest. I took a quick couple of pics of what I expected to be an adult, but it turned out to be a second fledgling. It seemed more active and stayed partially hidden in a much larger Eucalypt.

Photos of the two birds are on Flickr, as well as one of the adults that I photographed a week ago.

Cheers
Julie

--
Julie Clark