canberrabirds

Juvenile Robin at Jerrabomberra Wetlands?

To: "" <>
Subject: Juvenile Robin at Jerrabomberra Wetlands?
From: Sue Beatty <>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 07:40:04 +0000

Hi All,

Can anyone going to Jerra Wetlands tomorrow please look out for a small speckled bird that I saw near the first hide you come to on the way to Kelly’s Swamp? It caught me by surprise on my way out after twitching the Blue-billed Duck. It had the stance and pale-ringed eye of a Robin, also the wing pattern of a juvenile Robin, and I dimly recall hearing a call like a Scarlet Robin. It seemed pretty independent for a juvenile though, hopping to the ground to catch something then returning to low perch. Nobody has reported a Scarlet Robin at Jerra Wetlands for a while though and all the juvenile Robins seem much alike. It certainly wasn’t a Speckled Warbler. What else could it have been?

Also, the Blue-billed Duck seems to be hanging out in the reeds in that short stretch of water to the right of Cygnus hide. I sat there for quite a while before it appeared then it drifted back into the reeds and we didn’t see it again. Mikayla Burke was there as well with her camera and took a photo.

Cheers,

Sue Beatty