canberrabirds

Swamp Harrier on an 'ecological release' - Film

To: Martin Butterfield <>
Subject: Swamp Harrier on an 'ecological release' - Film
From: David Rees <>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 07:33:00 +0000
looks like it, but has snakes!!

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Martin Butterfield <> wrote:
I think I have seen them feeding on roadkill in Tasmania - which is of course pretty close to NZ!

On 28 November 2017 at 17:52, David Rees <> wrote:
Those familiar with New Zealand birds would know that the Swamp Harrier is the only member of the hawk family currently extant in New Zealand. There were once others, including a huge eagle that hunted Moa (plus children according to Maori tradition) plus several other now extinct harriers.

There being no Crows (except for a few European Rooks in a few places) and no kites etc in NZ, it basically has the scavenging/hunting thing to itself and has become ubiquitous.  Here we see one doing something I cannot say I've seen one do in Australia - feeding on roadkill, a not uncommon sight in NZ.  Interesting to note that the remains it is feeding on is another animal on an 'ecological release' over there - a Brush-tailed possum!

No real audio on this footage as it was filmed from inside a car - optics not great, but these are very nervy birds when like this.

Filmed recently on visit taken at short notice to NZ.

More to come...

Regards

David