canberrabirds

RE: Swamp Harrier on an 'ecological release' - Film

To: 'David Rees' <>, "" <>
Subject: RE: Swamp Harrier on an 'ecological release' - Film
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 00:32:45 +0000

Yes indeed the Turkey Vulture has that ability, almost unique among birds. See e.g. http://insider.si.edu/2013/11/study-shows-turkey-vulture-doubly-blessed-with-acute-vision-and-sense-of-smell

The other vultures don’t.

I think that is enough on this.........

From: David Rees [
Sent: Thursday, 30 November, 2017 11:19 AM
To: Philip Veerman; <>

Agree that there is more dead creature about now in a more open environment.  Vultures find food by sight as you say, however their American analogues the turkey vultures have a very good sense of smell in addition to sight.  The ability of these birds to find dead prey under dense canopies of trees is well known.  There is a nice demonstration of this on Attenbough's 'Life of Birds' series.  That is not to say predatory birds in NZ had a sense of smell since they are obviously related to Eurasian stock.  NZ was covered with temperate rainforest (still plenty of it about) but for alpine and some rain shadow areas. That eagle hunted Moa in that forest, which was probably grazed by them at floor level to a more open state than it is now.