canberrabirds

leucistic Crimson Rosella

To: 'canberrabirds chatline' <>
Subject: leucistic Crimson Rosella
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 00:32:27 +0000

On the way home from COG last night Lia and I (our homes are nearby and we usually share transport) talked about this bird and Lia asked about why postulate about there being more than one bird involved.

So I thought about it and will explain. It comes down to mathematics. Although I don’t know the story and I have no knowledge as to whether more than one bird has actually been observed, given the history, I suggest that the chance of there only being one bird affected, is likely to be small.

Firstly as a recessive character, to show it, the two genes must have come from both parents. Thus, the mutation must have been in at least two birds (its parents) at the same time. So it is clearly being maintained in that population, before and likely after the birth of that bird. The alternate scenario i.e. the chance of both copies of the gene mutating in the one individual, could be suggested is something of the order of thousands or more likely many millions to one, so that does not work. Surely most of the mutant genes are in individuals that do not show it. Given that the recessive gene is in the population, if over a period of at least 19 years, with so many birds breeding, the chances that the combinations as described below, not occurring at all, actually become quite low. Of course it depends how wide the gene pool is, as the extent to which the mutant gene is swamped by the more common normal gene. The mathematics is rather simple if we know the answers to questions on various assumptions about gene frequency, any selective pressures, any assortative matings........

The variant might be called “blue” although that is not much of a name either, the extent of blue looks normal. It is an absence of red. By comparison blue budgerigars come from an absence of the gene to make the yellow pigment, thus making the normally yellow parts white and the green parts blue.

An on-line simple explanation of the genetics principles is on many websites, such as this one, devoted to birds http://feistyhome.phpwebhosting.com/genes.htm...... As pointed out there, although genetics is basically the same for all life, there are variations not impacting on this issue, in that birds are different to mammals, because the sex chromosomes are opposite (and birds typically have many more chromosomes than mammals).

Philip