canberrabirds

RE: Re: [canberrabirds] FYI: ebird Taxonomy update 2017

To: 'Ryu Callaway' <>, 'COG Chat' <>
Subject: RE: Re: [canberrabirds] FYI: ebird Taxonomy update 2017
From: Geoff <>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 07:29:57 +0000
Ryu

Well said and I don't use eBird.

Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryu Callaway
Sent: Saturday, 19 August 2017 4:02 PM
To: COG Chat <>
Cc: Alastair Smith <>

A few weeks ago, I was advised of complaints by a number of chatline
subscribers on a number of occasions that I have been "masquerading as an
official representative of eBird".

Taking that into account, I opted to add a FYI before the title of yesterday's
email, and did not comment on my thoughts on the update. I even avoided signing
the email off with my name, and yet, am advised multiple people again raised
concerns that I was "actively passing myself off as someone having an official
capacity and formal affiliation with ebird." It wasn't even ebird specific,
being more about the ebird/Clements taxonomy.

Do people complain with concerns the posters are posing as an official whenever
Martin or David mention ebird (sorry), or better yet, whenever someone posts a
link to an article in the media or to a scientific journal?  If someone shares
a link to a community consultation of interest to birders and encourages people
to comment, are they suddenly representing either the government or COG's views
unless they explicitly state otherwise?

I would find it ridiculous if after every message, everyone had to include
disclaimers to state their position. It's a public email discussion line. We
comment or share stuff for the interest of other subscribers. People express
their own views. It's not like I've put in an email signature that connects me
to an official ebird role to misguide people. If you don't want to read it,
don't, but there are people that appreciate it.

I hope this makes my stance clear. And perhaps, if you're still unsatisfied,
tell me directly with a valid reason why I should have to explicitly include a
Non-Affiliation Disclaimer to share birding-related content on a birding
discussion list rather than complaining to a third party. Otherwise, I will
assume everyone is satisfied.

Ryu

> On 18 Aug 2017, at 7:42 pm, Ryu Callaway <> wrote:
>

> Changes relevant to australia are summarised in the following article.
> Nothing major in terms of species level changes though a few
> additional subspecies entry options
> http://ebird.org/content/australia/news/2017-ebird-annual-taxonomy-upd
> ate/

Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments,
will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or
'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>

Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments,
will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or
'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>