canberrabirds

World Big Day

To: COG Chat <>, Martin Butterfield <>
Subject: World Big Day
From: Ryu Callaway <>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 02:15:16 +0000
Sorry Martin to finish off my evening bike ride around some of Tuggeranong's ponds I counted the starlings as they arrived to roost in the reeds at point hut pond, and your 280 Starlings is nothing in comparison - approximately​ just over 3200 starlings gathered from the paddocks extending out towards Tidbinbilla. They came in several flocks over about 7 minutes from sunset, with the 2 largest flocks probably about 250m wide on the front and extending 25m back.

Just haven't got around to entering yesterday's birds yet because I spent over an hour counting the gulls from the photos of what I presumed to be a roost flight which I posted about a few days ago. Sunday's flock was 156 and Monday's flock was a whopping 614.

Ryu