canberrabirds

Kellys this morning

To: COG List <>
Subject: Kellys this morning
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 06:37:18 +0000
I came into town this morning and was able to drop in to Kellys Swamp.  Highlights were a single Intermediate Egret and a single White-necked Heron from Cygnus hide.

As there didn't seem to be any reports of Tawny Grassbirds recently I went to check them out from the approved side of the fence.  Although it was windy the wind was coming from their haunt towards the cycle path so I think I would have heard them if they had been calling.  Zip.  I then fired up the telescope and checked the reeds, grasses and blackberries where I had previously seen them.  Zip.  But as I could easily see Superb Fairy Wrens I would have been able to see TGs if they had been presenting.  So have they gone away or were they just hiding?

I have put a comment against the ebird record that I tried and failed as it might give some insights to when they nicked off.