canberrabirds

Fwd: Kookaburras

To: 'cogoffice' <>, "" <>
Subject: Fwd: Kookaburras
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 05:11:27 +0000

I would not advocate being too concerned. They probably have just moved away a bit for breeding. Certainly in the last few days, or even months I regularly see them sitting on the light poles nearest to the exit ramp (going north) from Tuggeranong Parkway towards Woden and they are usually along the west Kambah walkway of Mt Taylor. The GBS Report (extract follows, although that is now rather old information) has info to suggest that abundance is low October to December as they are maybe further from homes when breeding (although the change is small as they are basically resident).

Philip

  Laughing Kookaburra Dacelo novaeguineae

This species has a strong family life and many observations represent family groups. It favours woodland but is still common in suburbs bordering Canberra Nature Park. They are conspicuous and have probably the most distinctive and well-known calls of all Australian birds. They probably have a tight annual schedule with juveniles being included for a long time in family groups. This may be the cause of a peculiar monthly pattern. This appears to be regular and smooth but unusual in the shape of two peaks and troughs each year. The amplitude is small. From a high in March declines to a low in May then increases to August, declining again to a low in November, then increasing to March. The low spring and early summer pattern is probably due to birds breeding at that time and tending to move away from suburbs and into the bush, or even birds on nest not being counted. The April to May drop could be from dispersal of young birds. What is clear however is the significant almost even decline in abundance. It is possible that its decline may be related to the increasing summertime abundance of the Pied Currawong. That species in part relies on the same food sources and may be successfully competing with the Kookaburra. This may be reducing the Kookaburra’s breeding success. Breeding records have declined (13 in the first 8 years, four of these from Site 14, compared with 10 in the last 13 years). The breeding period is wide with only two records involving activities at nests, inspecting hollows from mid July to attending nest late September. The only other breeding records are of dependent young from end of November till end of April.
Graphs on page: 96, Rank: 23, Breeding Rank: 26, A = 0.36959, F = 74.00%, W = 52.0, R = 20.886%, G = 1.77.