canberrabirds

Emus at Cotter

To: 'Canberra Birds' <>
Subject: Emus at Cotter
From: David Rosalky <>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 05:36:14 +0000

I walked from Cotter reserve up to the little picnic area at the top of the dam today with my grandson.  There was a group of four emus up there.  As I walked past them about 10m away, a big (presumably) male decided I was a threat to his group and approached me aggressively to within a couple of metres.  I chased him with my Akubra and he finally retreated.

Five minutes later, we were walking back and passed them again.  The old man had taken a dislike to me and attacked me again, this time not to be dissuaded with a hat.  He got within striking distance and was growling or honking.  Another man was there and he had a camera on a selfie-stick.  This was more of a threat to the emu and he finally retreated.

An interesting experience, if a little unnerving.  I don’t know whether I crossed an invisible proximity threshold, or it is my red hair (what’s left of it) or I said something offensive.  I was the closest person to the birds in both encounters, so it was probably proximity.

David Rosalky