canberrabirds

The Plain and Bungendore South

To: COG List <>
Subject: The Plain and Bungendore South
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 05:07:37 +0000
I have just been for a drive around the Hoskinstown Plain and the dams on the Southern edge of Bungendore.

The Plain was very quiet.  I visited a couple of spots where I have seen Diamond Firetails a few times in the past but not this time.  The paddocks inhabited by Banded Lapwings and White-fronted Chats offered 69 Magpies but neither target species.  The highlight was seeing 2 Black-fronted Dotterels on a dam just North of Hoskinstown on Hoskinstown Rd.  They are quite uncommon out here in Winter: this was the only record for August in 10 years.

​Going in to Bungendore I found the Plumed Whistling Ducks at Burrows Lane Dam.  My count was 40 but they were sitting in relatively long grass and I may have missed 1 or 2.

The other two dams were very low on birds although 180 Galahs were perched above the hay racks (and a further 17 - total thus 197, a prime number!!! - perched on the racks).