canberrabirds

Rainbow lorikeets

To: "" <>
Subject: Rainbow lorikeets
From: Nick Payne <>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 10:53:04 +0000
In Perth, where I grew up, fewer than ten Rainbow Lorikeets released in the 1960s had grown to a population of many tens of thousands by the turn of the century, and they had become a serious agricultural pest. The WA Ag Dept has culled at least 40,000 Lorikeets without really making a noticeable dent in their population - I still see them everywhere every time I go to Perth. Birds which were common in Perth when I was young, such as the Port Lingcoln Ringneck, are now rarely seen in the metropolitan area because they have been out-competed for nesting sites by the Lorikeets. Unless something is done to keep their numbers under control here, the same will probably happen to the local Eastern and Crimson Rosellas.

I now see and hear Rainbow Lorikeets here several times a week on the average, whereas only a few years ago several months could elapse between seeing or hearing them.