canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] ANBG today

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] ANBG today
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 05:40:56 +0000

Ah. The unfashionable backshot - not so often seen these days as most photographers lack the patience to wait until the bird turns its back.  On probabilities the bird is likely to be a pale morph as no dark birds have been confirmed in the pairs currently holding territory around Canberra.  However a transient is possible.  On the photo alone I wouldn't be certain as the back colour is within the range for either morph given variables of light and shadow, age and state of moult  - and above all the effect of the editing toolbox.  In the below the left bird is a dark, the right bird a pale and the middle 2 pale morph first year birds. ‘Pale’ and ‘dark’ really refer to the underparts.