canberrabirds

Pied Butcherbird

To: 'Julie Clark' <>, 'COG Chatline' <>
Subject: Pied Butcherbird
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 12:49:17 +0000

Not being there to get any impression of size (which can help, depending on sex) but just on that one photo, I would go far more for Collared Sparrowhawk on probability of at least 70 to 80%. The tail is possibly not full grown but it is certainly more notched than rounded, it is fairly slim build, smallish beak, I don’t see much sign of heavy eye brow and the toes are not clear enough. And although certainly not definitive but perched in Casuarina (or is it pine), rather than a Eucalypt is far more fitting for a Collared Sparrowhawk, especially if it is a young recently fledged bird.

Philip