canberrabirds

Car broken into jerra wetlands

To: 'kym bradley' <>, "" <>
Subject: Car broken into jerra wetlands
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 02:30:35 +0000

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the warning. I suggest you go to Cash Converters and similar 2nd hand stores to report this, in case someone attempts to sell it there. Not that I own cameras but I would not leave things like that in a car at that place or only reluctantly and for short periods and only if completely hidden from view from outside.

Do these items have serial numbers on them and if so do you have a record of them?

I am always surprised that cameras and binoculars do not provide on their frame, a panel for having name and identity of the owner to be inscribed. I have an identity tag on my binoculars. Sure that is little help against theft but it should help for if I am ever stupid enough to leave it somewhere. I was stupid enough to leave my binocular strap on a boat in the Philippines.

As for security cameras at the site, an interesting idea, wow I wonder where that would come from out of the ACT budget. It would surely be low on the list of priorities, compared to schools, hospitals etc. There would be many in the general community who would object to such surveillance. Not just bird interested people but cyclists, just any recreation users and canoodlers use the spot. Sure hoon users of the road is another hat on which we could hang that request.

I remember that when the COG Atlas was near to complete, McComas Taylor had his car stolen (and never recovered), with all the Atlas material in it. I don’t recall how the recovery process went after that but I think it was some months of editing work lost.

Philip