canberrabirds

jerra wetlands Tuesday

To: "" <>
Subject: jerra wetlands Tuesday
From: Rod Mackay <>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 09:47:14 +0000
The Jerra Creek blitz on the weekend produced 46 species, including 2 Pied Cormorants.  The most significant other sighting was a Darter's nest about a metre above the creek, adult bird in attendance and at least one very newly hatched chick.  First Darter nest I have seen in this location after many years of paddling the area.  (Alas no more other than with a special dispensation for the blitz) - Other sightings included 10 Cattle Egrets, 4 Nankeen Night Herons, 4 Sacred KIngfishers, 2 White winged Trillers, two dozen Pelicans, and numerous Reed Warblers.  There were 2 Great Cormorants but surprisingly no Little Pied or Little Black Cormorants.  Also one probable Latham's Snipe, but I won't include that as I'm not 100% certain.

On Sunday I blitzed Yarralumla Bay and Spinnaker Island.  I counted 13 Silver Gull active nests on the moored vessels, plus about 50 birds milling about in the general area.

The Island was literally alive with Gulls, white heads and necks visible above the green grass.  I didn't want to create a disturbance by close checking but I assumed most/many of these were nesting, I estimate probably upwards of 400 birds.

Cheers

Rod