canberrabirds

Tagged Magpie

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Tagged Magpie
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 19:08:37 +1100

Philip,

A couple of corrections to your reply. It was Kim Lowe, not Tim Lowe who was the then head of the ABBBS. The study that he did was the result of the banding scheme being transferred from CSIRO “Wildlife” to the then Australian National Parks and Wildlife Service (now Environment Australia. This resulted in a change of address on the bands from “Write CSIRO Australia” to, on the smaller bands, “Box 8, 2601”. The larger bands also have “Write” and “Australia” on them. The study, as you rightly point out, was to find out the reporting rate of the different addresses on the bands. I don’t know if Kim replicated the experiment in Melbourne but as far as I am aware he only did it on starlings in the ACT. One of my former CSIRO colleagues was shooting large numbers of roosting starlings and this is what gave Kim the idea. He used equal numbers of the bands and drove around various Canberra suburbs at night throwing the birds on to  well used bus stops. He wasn’t aware of where I lived at the time and was surprised when I phoned him the next morning to say my wife had picked up a dead banded starling at the bus stop in front of my house. I am not sure of the final outcome but think the numbers were reasonably even for the number of bands reported but I am not sure of the overall number of birds actually reported.

We also tried the same experiment with Silver Gulls on Five Islands off Wollongong where we again banded equal numbers of chicks with the different addresses. I think this also gave a similar ratio of returns.

Cheers,

Mark