canberrabirds

Turner Owl

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Turner Owl
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 17:39:18 +1100
a Melbourne researcher, Dr Fiona Hogan, has been doing a lot of work on this  in Powerful Owls (as well as other bird species, and more recently in koalas), and has extracted DNA from single feathers from the owls from many locations, mainly in Victoria. She's  looked not just at individual characteristics, but also breeding behaviour and dispersal. If interested, there is some more info about some of her work at http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/international/radio/onairhighlights/owls-dna-revealed-in-a-feather

sandra h