canberrabirds

Powerful Owl in Alternative Location

Subject: Powerful Owl in Alternative Location
From: Robin Eckermann <>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 14:14:53 +1100
Terry Bird wrote:
>Has moved from customary position but definitely there at 1045 today. Approach the
>large oak tree from the exit road ( next to Haigh Park ) just past a grey metal sub-station
>structure near to a low treated pine fence and look up  to heavy branches reaching towards
>the building roof. There is a good clear  view of the powerful owl,certainly awake and
>glaring downwards with a ringtail possum clutched in it's talons

Many thanks for this update, Terry! Your message inspired a flurry of interested visitors - including me, hoping for a frontal view. The owl was regularly "relaxing" its wings, and with wings "drooping", the tail no longer protruded beyond the wings. It also appeared to be panting - perhaps both activities a sign that it was feeling the warmer weather? For those who cannot get there, here's a picture, taken at about 1:45pm today ...

Powerful Owl
(click on thumbnail for larger view)
--
Regards ... Robin Eckermann