canberrabirds

Owls

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: Owls
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 17:33:04 +1100
Then again it could be different patterns and still the same bird. As in who is to say that one bird retains the same pattern? Museum specimens are not going to prove that, due to the obvious thing that once dead, future developments are lost. Only well studied captive birds or long term photos of known birds could help with this question. I can't think how this could ever be more than a question. Geoffrey is surely understating with It will be difficult to arrive at a firm conclusion. A fun question but I see no way of knowing an answer, unless it was banded or we have really good DNA evidence (who would pay for testing that and why). As for territory, that is unlikely that it has been in that area undiscovered all that time. But that does not mean that it is not the same bird that has been far away in the years in between and returned. That seems reasonable to me or just a rare species that one of them occasionally comes into Canberra.

About possums, I can add the peripheral information that last week I had to have Brush tail Possums removed from my roof. They caught 3 over three nights, two adults and one small but independent young. The requirement is that they be released within 50 metres of capture site but of course that is a nonsense as they would immediately return. I was told they can find heir way back to about 3 km. Obviously I don't know how generally true that is. So what happens? I asked. They transport them to another similar suburban habitat (not bush) on the other side of town (obviously vice versa). They have a few favoured release spots (I do not know these locations). So there are places in Canberra that possums get taken to and released in the evening where the habitat is probably already full of possums, where the animals are unfamiliar and only have a night to find a new hole (or another house roof to continue to supply the pest controllers with new business). In the process such possums are vulnerable to predators like our PO. The possums are also predators of nesting birds and whatever. I suspect the non result from the Currawongs nest in my big tree this year could be due to these possums (not that I am upset about that).