canberrabirds

White-throated Treecreepers on Mount Jerrabomberra

To: "'Christine'" <>, "'COG List'" <>
Subject: White-throated Treecreepers on Mount Jerrabomberra
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:49:56 +1000

What the members of the outing witnessed with the WTTC may not necessarily have been potential breeding activity. Locally both the WTTC and Brown Treecreepers (not sure about the Red-browed) often roost in holes, even during daylight hours. I think one of the reasons that the re-introduction of Brown Treecreepers to Mulligan’s Flat essentially failed was general lack of old logs on the ground with hollows and the birds couldn’t find sufficient refuge sites. When I was helping band Brown Treecreepers in Kama some time ago, you could often see where the birds had been roosting and the birds would regularly disappear into a hole that was not a nesting site, sometimes for quite lengthy periods which was a bit frustrating when you are trying to catch them.

I sometimes wonder if we are placing too much emphasis on birds IH as a supposed  breeding record.

Mark