canberrabirds

Gang-gang identification

To: CanberraBirds <>
Subject: Gang-gang identification
From: "David McDonald (personal)" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 21:12:20 +1100
Ian Warden's excellent article in Friday's CT about Gang-gang Cockatoos mentioned the difficulty in identifying juveniles - the challenge she had was separating juvenile and adult females. A neighbour of mine asked my advice, as she saw some at her place yesterday and wanted to report them through the ALA portal - I have promoted the survey in the Wamboin Whisper newsletter.

Attached is a scanned extract from HANZAB covering Gang-gang ID: Higgins, PJ (ed.) 1999, Handbook of Australian, New Zealand & Antarctic birds, vol. 4: parrots to Dollarbird, OUP, Melbourne, pp. 94-5.

Here are the illustrations of the birds from the same source: http://www.drivehq.com/folder/p11517028.aspx .

David
--
David McDonald