canberrabirds

Re: Lyrebirds mimicking chainsaws: fact or lie?

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Re: Lyrebirds mimicking chainsaws: fact or lie?
From: John Harris <>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 05:44:19 +0000
Very sorry Philip and anyone else.
 I did not mean folk like you at all, but people who write authoritatively and make claims based only on their presumption that because they or no one they know doing rigorous research has heard a lyrebird doing such a thing, that therefore it doesn’t or can’t happen.
I wrote my email before I had read yours, Philip, otherwise I would have said they you got it right in your initial response, because you said that although you had no personal experience or proof, that there was no reason why a lyrebird learning to mimic in the vicinity of human beings could not mimic some human sounds.
So I am sorry I was too quick and our emails crossed.
As for the second email below, yes I agree that lyrebirds make various clicks and whirring noises and that listeners may interpret them as mimicry. Lyrebirds too may more easily mimic sounds close to their normal range.  I have heard many lyrebirds apparently mimicking many human sounds in my childhood and youth. Philip referred to special circumstances and one of those are the times in the past when people lived and worked in the same place as the birds over long periods of time. Timber-getters are a good example because they virtually lived in the forests and many were interested in their environment. In the depression my grandfather spent months (illegally?) clearing a few acres of rainforest to grow food to feed his family and that’s where he first learned about lyrebird mimicry, camped amongst them for years really.
As for the flint story, all I know is that they did not come to our voices or general camping noises but that they did come to the flint and grandfather knew how to use it to bring them. The sound seemed to be already in their repertoire which I put down to the long-term presence of bushmen in the past. It is very hard for a modern scientific researcher to go out and find lyrebirds mimicking human noises and I suspect the birds are doing it less as people and lyrebirds now mix less.
Sorry again to any I inadvertently offended.
Sincerely,  John