canberrabirds

dark raptor?

To: "'Bill & Raelene'" <>, <>
Subject: dark raptor?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 15:43:15 +1100
Hi Bill,

I suggest "too slim to be a Brown Falcon dark morph. I could not see any
barring." That bit is consistent with a Black Falcon. But it had long yellow
legs" rules out a Black Falcon. That is if you are comparing the legs to a
Brown Falcon.

Other options: A first year Swamp Harrier as you say, or a Black Kite,
though their legs are not particularly long.

The wing shape and the flight pattern (actions) are very different between
all these options.