canberrabirds

Painted h'eater/Stony Ck

To: JUDY MIDDLEBROOK <>, 'Steve Read' <>, 'COG list' <>
Subject: Painted h'eater/Stony Ck
From: "Maconachie, Michael" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 21:33:02 +0000
This nest has been active for many years - I used to take Jerry Olsen their
every year for monitoring purposes. There is no public access by vehicle
whether the gate is open or not. Access is a matter for Parks and Con who
manage the land not for Cord Civil. People can walk down but as it is easy to
get close to the nest it would be beneficial to the eagles if hordes of people
did not go to visit this nest as they may abandon it. Uriarra Village
development wanted to allow horse riding along the track by the nest but we
kept this area horse free for the benefit of the eagles. With the loss of the
Molonglo nests due to the development we don't want to lose Murrumbidgee nests
due to people disturbance.

Michael Maconachie
Senior Ranger
Jerrabomberra Wetlands Nature Reserve